Saturday, January 3, 2015

NTPG Christian Origins and the NT. Post 1

I think we should begin at the heart of the intro which will carry us into the first three chapters. In chapter 1 pages 7 - 10, NT gives us four ways in which scholars, and laymen have approached the reading of the scriptures:


  1. Pre-critical: forget history and theology, what is God saying to me. This is has been the way many Christians have approached the reading of the text.
  2. Historical: a product of the enlightenment which pre-critical readers and those in theology camps have to some degree or a large degree ignored.
  3. Theological: asking questions about the nature of God, Jesus, and how the gospels and epistles might interrelate with their theological concepts.
  4. Postmodern: not concerned with theology or history, only the personal reading experience. A purely subjective approach to reading Bible.
I think this is a fairly accurate breakdown.  I see how the first 3 can interact and guide us into a deeper understanding of the scriptures. I think postmodernism is too relativistic and subjective.  I am not sure how it contributes to the discussion.  We can get into this in chapter three.  I would like to know everyones thoughts on this breakdown by NT or if you think we need to start elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment